Last Updated: May 9, 2013
Find more sociology reference sources at Oxy.
- Follow your interests. Rely on course materials, current events, personal experience, and exploration of reference sources.
- Look for puzzles, surprises, and data that challenge common assumptions about society.
- Map out the relationships between the concepts within your topic.
- Search databases for literature on your topic.
- Chart out the explanations that have been offered in the literature for the puzzle or problem that interests you.
- Find your own approach to your topic and situate it in conversation with the literature.
Need help with thesis formation, research design, and scholarly writing? Check out these great companions to the research process: