Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Google Chrome extension Zhongwen (shows you the Pinyin and the English translation of the character your cursor is at) https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zhongwen-chinese-english/kkmlkkjojmombglmlpbpapmhcaljjkde
- MDBG dictionary (shows stroke order, Pinyin, meanings, HSK level, etc.) https://www.mdbg.net/chinese/dictionary
- Afuthomas (advanced, funny, idiom, slang words, English and Chinese subtitles) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC689uDf0ryZniKpuSK9ESTw
- China Daily (English and Chinese side by side, local expression and readable paragraph length) http://language.chinadaily.com.cn/
- Pleco (almost like the phone version of MDBG, highly recommended by a Chinese 400 level student) https://www.pleco.com/
- Chairman’s Bao (limited number of free articles in Chinese everyday; based on language level) https://www.thechairmansbao.com/
- The website “iData” is the equivalent of academia.edu in China. After registering an account one can download 2-5 academic journals FREE each day. The platform is built by a couple different Chinese universities with published academic journals uploaded by individuals.
- Good for: CHIN 300 and up https://www.cn-ki.net/
- Textbook notes in pdf based on the first edition of Integrated Chinese (Cheng & Tsui). Good for: CHIN 101 and 102 http://as.nyu.edu/eas/undergraduate/chinese-language/chinese-classnotes.html
- Interactive games that allow users to complete tasks that have character writing, sentence completion, listening, vocabulary multiple-choice assignments embedded, and through these games users get to explore Chinese culture. Users can also compete with other users.
- Good for: various levels https://funchinaworld.com/
- Similar to Chairman’s Bao; App with web version that breaks down Chinese newspaper articles into different HSK levels
- Good for: various levels http://www.decipherchinese.com/
- Grammar points by different levels. Good for: various levels https://resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/
- A list of measure words in Chinese. Good for: CHIN 101 and 102 https://digchinese.com/en/measure-words
- Videos of stroke sequences of 800 common characters. Good for: 101 and 102, possibly 201 http://www.fltrp-clt.com/dictionary/pages/sort/sortByWord.html