Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Downloading and installing Zotero (5.0)
To start using Zotero and integrate it with your word processor follow these steps:
- Register for an account at Zotero using your Oxy email id.
- Download and install Zotero 5.0.
- Download and install a Zotero plugin for your Browser (Chrome, Firefox, and Safari).
- Install a Zotero plug in for your word processor (Microsoft Office Word, Libre Office, Google Docs).
- Do this by going to Preferences > Cite > Word Processors in the Zotero Desktop program.
Zotero and Word Processors
Zotero (5.0) will work with Microsoft Word, LibreOffice, and Google Docs to create bibliographies and insert in-text citations into your manuscript. To help you get started here are links to quick guides on using Zotero with word processors:
How to set Zotero Application preferences:
- Open Zotero by clicking on the icon on your desktop
- On a PC go to the “Tools” menu in the upper left-hand corner of the window; then click “Preferences”. On a Mac, go to the main Zotero menu and click “Preferences”.
- Click on the “General” icon; check “Automatically attach associated PDFs...”
- Click on the “Sync” icon; enter your Zotero username and password (which you created when you registered)
- Click on the “Search” icon; install PDF indexing
- Click on the “Export” icon; choose Default Style Output.
- Click on the “Advanced” icon. If you click “Search for resolvers”, several will be loaded into the drop-down list. You’ll have to trial and error until one of the options matches this URL (http://TV3VM4CY6V.search.serialssolutions.com).
If you prefer watching video documentation to setup and use ZOTERO use the following link to watch three videos on the Oxy Library/CDLA's Youtube channel: Click Here
Get Zotero Support from the Oxy Library through live, remote 1:1 consultation
Request a 45 minute Zotero Workshop for a class by locating your subject librarian/specialist here: