Topic Finding and Thesis Formation
- Follow your interest.
- Look for tensions, anomalies and unanswered questions.
- What assumptions have been made in previous scholarship surrounding a topic?
- What critical approaches have and haven't been taken with certain topics?
- Narrow or broaden an area of interest, and look for ways you can situate an argument within a larger argument, or in opposition to another argument.
- Look outside of music at other influences and factors that are related to your topic.